Monday, April 07, 2014

We've had a very nice spring day with temperatures nicely in the high 40's for a while.  Actually, it hasn't cooled down all that much tonight, so far, and that isn't going to be good for the sugar makers.  We're getting a little rain tonight - old timers are saying that will help bring out the frost from the road so it won't be so muddy.  I don't know - it may depend on how much rain we get whether it's good or not so good for the back roads.  Today West Shore Road was very good.  A few puddles along the way, but no muddy ruts except on the Danville end, right before the apron onto Route 2.

I saw the first real indicator that the pond is finally giving in to spring - the channel is opening.  I can see there are open spots closer to the tressel bridge, but nothing open on the lower end near the pond yet. I tried to get a picture late this afternoon, but the light wasn't good enough, so I'll see if I can get one tomorrow.  I think we'll have some rain tomorrow, and then maybe a little snow on Wednesday, so that will slow things down, perhaps especially if it gets much colder.  

I heard some geese on Saturday, and again today, so they are looking for open water.  I think they will just keep going; we have nothing to offer them here.  I believe I also saw a robin on West Shore Road when I was heading out around noon.  It was near Barre Avenue and I didn't get a good look, but I was pretty certain  by the way it flew up from the side of the road it was a robin.  There is just a little bare ground showing, and probably at least a few worms are coming up to the surface.

I noticed in the newspaper there is a Spring Snow Goose Harvest hunting permit available in Vermont now - since 2009, actually.  Hunters can get a free permit to shoot up to 15 snow geese per day.   The pesky geese we've endured here at Joe's Pond are Canada Geese, and fall is the only time hunting them is allowed.  Perhaps eventually there will be a spring harvest season on them, too, as their numbers increase and they become more bothersome.  For now, we can only hope our late spring will mean most nesting geese will have moved on to find open water and we may not have too many visitors this year.

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...