Tuesday, February 25, 2014

We've been wondering if anyone had tapped their sugar woods and might have made some syrup during those warm days recently, and apparently some producers had.  However, it may be a while before they get another run.  The one I heard about was a sugar maker in Fletcher.   We're undeniably in the "season" for it, but we'd be a week or two later here in Washington, Orleans and Caledonia counties, I expect.  We're generally about 10 degrees colder than the Franklin/Addison area.  Last night we had minus five degrees, and tonight it may be nearly as cold.  Today was chilly all day, and that wind was cruel.  A couple of times I looked up into the woods behind our house and there were clouds of snow coming off the big spruces.  And of course we had a couple inches of new snow yesterday and will have about the same by tomorrow morning, I expect - it snowed sporadically most of the day.  

There are signs of spring, however.  Town Meeting is next Tuesday, and a week later, on March 9th, we go back to daylight saving time.  Can you believe it?  I really like the change ahead, even though we sort of lose an hour.  In the fall (it will be on November 2nd when we go back) it's downright depressing - and dark.

I had a note from Andy Rudin a while back, and one of the things that reminds him of spring is the arrival of seed catalogs.  That made me smile, and within a day or so of his message, would you believe it?  One arrived in our mailbox.  I now have two to browse through.  I haven't ordered anything for years - I have more plants and shrubs now than I can handily take care of - but I do enjoy looking at the varieties and dreaming a little.  I even had thoughts of relocating some stuff - perhaps creating some paths in the woods again, with surplus garden flowers along them.  I'll have to get out there before the black flies arrive . . . 

Another sure sign of spring is the Ice Out Contest, of course.  Diane and I learned that there is an article on our contest in Yankee Magazine this month.  Our friend, Julia Shipley, interviewed us and took pictures last year.  Neither of us has seen it yet, but we'll be picking it up soon, and we've been asked by the publicity director to comment on the article so she can quote us in promos, etc.  This could boost our ticket sales considerably.  I'm remembering what happened when an Associated Press reporter did a piece that went nation wide back in 2007 or so.  Now, with on-line tickets available, it will be interesting to see what happens.

The St. Johnsbury Kiwanis Auction is coming up soon, and they have their supply of Joe's Pond Ice-Out tickets - they give them to bidders who match or exceed the listed value of an item.  It's fun, and sure takes the doldrums out of this prolonged, painful winter.

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...