Friday, January 24, 2014

Just so everyone knows - it's still darned cold up here in Vermont!  We had a low again, according to my thermometers, of -15 last night, and a few minutes ago - at about 11 a.m., I checked and we were just barely at zero and the sun is shining brightly.  We're supposed to warm up tomorrow . . .  In the meantime, Diane Rossi sent this beautiful picture of the sun early this morning.  Now that is a sun dog if I ever saw one!  I Googled to find out more about them, so click here if you're interested.  Sun Dogs


If you have a more technical interest, I found this site: Parhelions or Sun Dogs

This is a really beautiful shot and I thank Diane for sending it.  Here's what she wrote:  

You see the sunrise is off to the right....This thing has been persistent since about 7:30, and it's now almost 9.
 
I also had this message from Homer Fitts this morning, and thank Homer for sending. 

 DOUG HAMILTON JUST CALLED TO LET US KNOW THAT NSNSPORTS.NET WILL HAVE THE DANVILLE GAME ON TONIGHT AT 7:30.     HIS GRANDSON KYLE [JOHNSON] ONLY NEEDS  3 POINTS TO GET 1,000.  
 
Life goes on in a very normal fashion, even with sub-zero temperatures.  When I go out around noon to walk up Jamie and Marie's driveway, there's that nose-pinching moment as I first hit the cold air, and when I get to our mailbox and head north, the wind hits and it's bone chilling, cheek pinching misery until I get to the relative protection of the trees along the driveway.  Then there are sunny spots, with luck, and a respite until I reach the top where on some days, there's a bitter west wind swooping down over the hill and I'm happy to turn my back on it and march back down the way I came.  I don't stay out long - perhaps 15 minutes - but it's enough to get my heart pumping and expand my lungs with fresh cold air and  invigorate my soul.  Yesterday I wore my new L.L.Bean long-johns under my jeans, and that was much more  comfortable.  Usually my legs get stinging cold on these cold day walks, but now I  have an added layer of protection.  Even so, those few minutes outside in extreme cold are enough, and I'm so happy to get it over with each day!
 
Woody isn't crazy about the cold, either, and yearns to be outside, but on cold days like this, he is content on the windowsill in the sun where he can watch the birds and any other little critters outside while he enjoys the privileged indoor  comforts we, his staff, provide.  
                                                                    

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...