Monday, September 16, 2013

We're getting ready for a pretty cold night - forecast to drop into the 20's - so I went out and picked at least some of the beans - if any of them survive, they may make it to the dry stage, as we're supposed to get a string of nice (warmer, but not REALLY warm) days this week.

I am in a "take out the screens and put the glass in the storm doors" mode now.  I just realized we removed the "storm" panels in the basement windows in order to paint this spring, and those need to be put back, too.  I went into the basement just a few minutes ago and there was condensation on them, which doesn't happen when the extra panel is in.  These are older Anderson windows that were considered really efficient, I guess, when they were put in back in the 60's.  They don't compare to today's windows, I'm sure, but we've been advised not to replace them.  After the storm panel is in place, and when it begins to get really cold on a daily basis - along about November, the inside Mylar panels will go up on those windows, too.  I  do think it helps not to have to heat the cold glass - the Mylar provides a barrier with air space between it and the cold glass.  So far it seems to work and the basement stays a pretty constant temperature all winter without extra heat.

Our roofers finished up in just a couple of hours this morning.  They had a little light rain to deal with, but nothing to hamper their progress, and we were actually kind of sorry to see them leave.  They were really fun to have around, and did a great job.  Now, once we get our living room window replaced, we'll be all set for winter.  I'm really not ready psychologically -  but I do really like to have all the fall chores taken care of well ahead of time so we don't have to work in the cold.  I remember taking the pontoon boat out one year after we'd had our first snow storm . . . but that was when we were much younger and I guess hardier - and not very smart!

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...