Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Ending July on a High

Here we are, finishing up another month already.  Summer is almost gone.  Today is another gorgeous one, and last night clear, crisp and cool.  Nights are getting that cooler tinge, for sure.  I'm  hearing more blue jays, too - a sure sign summer is waning.  I don't know where they go during the heat of summer, but along about August, they begin to show up and get very competitive, probably hoarding food for winter.  I read someplace blue jays are notorious for stashing food and forgetting where they put it.  I can relate to that.  My freezer is evidence.  

We have finally received the new boxes, acid-free tissue and silica gel packets and cartridges that we need in order to properly protect our collection of vintage clothing and other items at the historical society building from mildew.   We are hoping to find some dress forms so we can properly display some of those things in the future.  Our budget is small, so I'm hoping there will be someone who has a dress form they no longer use - like for dress making - that they would be willing to part with.  I used to have one, but it was made of cardboard and is long gone.  We haven't found any that are within our budget to purchase new, but even ones in sad repair could possibly be salvaged for our use, so if you have one or know of someone who might, please let me know. 

Speaking of mildew, we had a lot of rain this month.  Here's what I've recorded since I began volunteering with CoCoRaHS back in 2009:

July, 2009 - 7.07 in.
July, 2010 - 3.92 in.
July, 2011 - 3.33 in.
July, 2012 - 3.51 in.
July 2013 -  8.53 in.

We've had some discussion regarding the loon chicks.  As far as we know, all the chicks are doing well.  We have two families, one on the big, or third pond; another ranging in the smaller first and middle ponds.  I believe both have two chicks.  The photo I posted a few days ago was of the ones on the big pond, taken near W. Shore Road, I believe.  They were showing some nice wing feathers, so should be ready to take off this fall ok.  Thanks for all the interest.

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...