Monday, May 20, 2013

We've had enough rain to at least begin replenishing the much needed moisture in the ground.  I measured .26 in. in my rain gauge this morning, and we've had a lovely misty rain most of the day.  Late this afternoon the sun broke through, and everything looks fresh and green.

The past few days have been a series of meetings of one sort or another.  We had a short  presentation ceremony at the fishing access on Sunday when we met with our 2013 Ice-Out winner, Gary Clark to give him his check.  We enjoyed chatting with Gary and his wife, Sherrie.  Fox 44 News came, but we haven't been able to locate the piece on their website yet.  It should have been on the 6 p.m. news last night, but we missed it.

 As you can see, we had a small group, but it was fun to meet Gary.  Our JPA president, Tom Dente, made the presentation of the Awards Certificate and the check.  After that, Gary did an interview with Fox 44 News (right) and you can tell he's pretty darned happy about his good luck.  He said he purchased 30 tickets and made them out for successive days.  

Later in the day I went to the annual Cabot Historical Society meeting.  It was chillier than we'd expected in there, having been closed up all winter I guess the frost wasn't out of the timbers yet.  The big old wood stove was going, but it's a large space to heat and it didn't get warm right away, but I'm sure everyone enjoyed the food (I couldn't be there in time to eat, but I know from past meetings, it was delicious), and there was a very nice turnout.
We acquired some interesting items, too.  A couple of youngsters who had visited me at the museum one day last fall, had found a 1915 license plate in the mud of the Winooski River as it flows through town.  They cleaned it up and brought it to the historical society.  It's a little beaten up, but it looks like it was number 2076.  There weren't a lot of cars around back then, and I wondered if it might have belonged to the old gentleman who lived on Main Street and went to park his car into the barn and, not having driven much yelled "Whoa" when he wanted to stop.  He went through the back of the barn into the river.  I have forgotten his name, but I have the story written down somewhere.  My father delighted in telling it to my cousins and me when we were learning to drive the farm vehicles.

There was also a toy firetruck that all the Perry children had played with as kids.  It dates back to the 1940s, according to what I was able to find on the internet.  It is a replica of an Auburn pumper truck, and is made of hard rubber.  The picture shows it from a side view and from above.  I thought it was metal, but I found an identical picture, so I'll take a closer look when I go back to the building next time.  That was donated, along with a Fulton Sign & Price Marker kit and a water dipper, by Erma Perry.  The price marker kit had been used by her mother-in-law, the late Beatrice Perry.  We were excited to be able to add these items to our collection.  Each generation of the Perry family has worked hard to support the Cabot community, and we appreciate their generosity and enthusiasm over the years.

Plans are in the works for Cabot's big Fourth of July celebration.  I had an e-mail from Terry Persons today asking me to remind people she will be looking for donations for the big Rummage Sale.  She said proceeds go to the kids - it is put on by the Parent-Teacher group, I believe.  Terry's phone is 279-6818.  Take a look for any items that your kids have outgrown or that you don't use anymore but that still have some use left, and give Terry a call.  She will arrange to pick up your item at your convenience.

By the way, if you've been out and about on the pond you may have noticed some of the buoys have a light on them.  Jamie Dimick has installed solar lights on some of the buoys as a trial to see if it helps people when navigating in dusk or after dark.  They also have reflective tape on them, but the lights may be helpful, too.  He said he needs to know if they help or annoy, so you can let us know at the meeting Saturday, or comment here. 
















No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...