Sunday, February 24, 2013

Here is a message from Helen Morrison, who volunteers at the Kingdom Animal Shelter in St. Johnsbury.  If you live in the Joe's Pond area and have something to donate, let Helen know and she will make arrangements to have your items picked up.  Click on the poster to make it larger so you can read it easily.

We've been getting a little snow today, but there hasn't been much buildup.  Just enough to make the roads a bit slippery.  It's been pretty mild - in the high 20's, low 30's most of the day.

Diane Rossi just let me know she talked with an ice fisherman today who told her he figures the ice is about 16 inches thick.  That's less than the last figure we heard, which was 18 inches a couple weeks ago.  It's really hard to measure, though, and a couple inches one way or another wouldn't be an unusual variance.  There is still lots of activity going on out on the ice, but Diane said she didn't think the man she talked to had caught much.

She sent a picture of their otter - the runoff from their water well.  I haven't seen it from the lake during winter, so I'm not sure what we're looking at, but perhaps Diane will elaborate for us and I will pass the information on to you.  In the meantime, maybe you can figure it out.  I don't know if she was looking down at the snow or straight on - it's just a complete mystery for me.  I'm not seeing anything I recognize.



 

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...