Wednesday, December 26, 2012

We are expecting a substantial storm to hit us tonight - the latest I've heard is from 6-12 inches of snow in our immediate area, more in the higher elevations and some other parts of Vermont.  In case you want to watch the progress of the storm, take a look at this Doppler weather map.  If it isn't active, click on "play" at the top of the map.  One thing we should be aware of is that there's going to be quite a bit of wind along with the snow, so driving will probably be particularly hazardous.  Here's the forecast for West Danville.

We began to lose the sunshine a little after noon today, and it remained pretty cold most of the day.  One of the drivers for Cabot's plow crew is ill so there will be only two plows tomorrow to keep roads in town open.  This may mean there will be more snow in the roads than usual as it will take longer for them to reach every road in town.  They ask that we all have patience and plan ahead.  We are used to having our roads kept pretty much free of snow even during a storm these days, but it wasn't always like that.  There was a time when there was only one plow, a crawler tractor with a big "V" plow and separate wings on either side operated by two men standing on a little platform at the back of the tractor.   The picture above was taken in the mid to late 1940's on the road to our farm.  At that time, the road was in a slightly different place, but you can see the Maynard farm in the upper left corner of the picture.  At the upper right is what is now called Brickett's Crossing Road, going to Walden Depot.

I made good headway organizing my office space today, and got some work done on the computer as well.  I even sent some greeting cards . . . I know, it's after Christmas, but I don't send many cards by regular mail these days anyway - lots of friends and family have e-mail, which I use to send greetings.  There are a few people who either don't have computers or for whom I don't have a working e-mail address, so i send cards theirs by regular mail.  

I made a short slide show today of our family Christmas Eve party to send to relatives who are away.  I also filed a lot of papers and put things away so now I actually have desk space.  Woody hasn't discovered his perch at my desk is available again.  It was piled with books and papers so he finally gave up trying to find space to stretch out.  It might take him a day or two to figure it out, but I'm sure he'll be in to keep me company soon.

Enjoy the snow if you can tomorrow, and if you must shovel, don't over do it, and drive safely if you have to travel. 

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...