Thursday, August 09, 2012


Right now it looks very threatening outside.  There are dark clouds and the air was absolutely still until just a few minutes ago when a breeze picked up.  I went outside and snapped this picture of the sky in back of our house - and I got wet.  It started to pour before I could get back inside the house.  We're getting a nice steady rain now - no thunder or lightning.

We went to Butters Restaurant last night for dinner with friends.  We had a really nice time and enjoyed the evening.  The food was very good and they even have draught beer.  (Spell check is taking exception to that spelling, but you know I'm talking about "draft" beer . . . )  We went early, but still there were a few people there and I expect it got busier later on.  We met another friend outside who lives nearby and she told us she and her husband go to Butters often.  That's always a good sign when the locals like a restaurant. 

We didn't have room for dessert, but believe me, I was tempted.  They had blueberry pie on the menu.  They also have creamees.  The general store had a stand for a little while, but the flood damaged them quite a bit last year and then this year there was repair work going on, so they decided not to try to do it again. 

We heard there is someone very interested in the Hardware store, having in mind to continue offering the hardware line in the basement area, which is accessible from a driveway at the side of the building, and on the ground floor have a gift shop/craft shop and maybe expand the little breakfast/lunch area that's in the back of the store to serve breakfast, or maybe more.  It sounds like an ambitious endeavor, but we wish them well.  It would be very nice to see the place active again.  

On our way home, we went across the flat on the Plain, near where I grew up, and took a picture of the old Maynard farm.  It is gradually falling down, unfortunately, which is very sad.  It was once a very productive farm run by Fred and Julia Maynard, well into their senior years.  Fred died in 1968, and then one of his sons, Ken, ran it with his mother for a number of years.  After Julia died in 1980, the place became vacant and has quickly deteriorated.  It is surprising how many people ask about the place, even now.  It is such a pretty location.

I've been working on the history of the A.M.Foster Covered Bridge for the Cabot Historical Society web site.  Richard Spaulding, who owns Cabot Plains Farm which used to be the Hartwell Stone property, built the bridge to honor his great grandfather who invented the Foster sap spout.

I met Tim Osgood and his wife at the historical society building yesterday.  They are both history teachers and were interested in the Osgood family that used to live in Cabot.  I believe Orton Osgood was the last of that family to live here, and he died in 1969.  I've been working at preserving the "Osgood Papers" which we bought some years ago for our collection.  There are literally hundreds of bits and pieces of Cabot history in those torn and faded scraps of paper kept by our former town clerks, Thomas Osgood and later on, his son Thomas Osgood, Jr.  I enjoyed showing the young Osgoods around the museum, and they spent some time looking over the documents.  Then I sent them off to Butters for lunch before they visited the Center Cemetery, where William is buried.

I guess you know Danville Fair is this weekend.  We hope the weather cooperates.  There's a lot going on in Cabot, too.  There is a town-wide yard sale, a flea market on the common, and the Alumni Luncheon - all on Saturday.  Busy places, but lots of fun and another indicator that the summer is on the way out and cold weather heading our way.

I just asked Fred to build a small fire in the wood stove, and now I'm beginning to see the weather is brightening up some.  I will expect thanks for bring back the sunshine!



No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...