Tuesday, May 22, 2012

We've lost our sunshine today, but it's still 70 degrees outside, with a nice breeze, so very pleasant since it isn't raining - yet.  We are expecting showers later in the day and some tomorrow.  Fred and I walked early this morning and it was pretty nearly perfect "walking weather" for me.  When it gets too hot, I lose energy quickly, but today we went about to Bertrand's before I got so hungry for breakfast I needed to head back home.  

The Bertrands are back, and we also saw Walter Ruf.  He and his sister, Mimi, arrived on Sunday.  There are others returning daily, so I expect we'll have a pretty good turnout for our spring meeting on Saturday.  Some years it's been cold enough that I went to the meeting with my winter parka on and we were grateful for the side curtains at the pavilion.  This year probably will be much warmer, around 79 degrees, but it could be overcast according to the prediction.

We have nearly full foliage now, plus our lilacs are out and my peonies are well budded.  I am going out in a little while to pick some lillies of the valley.  Everything is earlier than usual.  Woody enjoys sitting on the garden steps, quietly waiting for some unsuspecting little animal to show itself - and meet it's doom.

 I have most of my garden planted, but last week when I opened the package of lettuce seeds I'd picked up one day in a hurry at one of the box stores in Littleton, it was empty.  Not a seed in it.  I have never had that happen before - but I understand that some machine somewhere just didn't spit out the prescribed number of little seeds before the envelope went on to be sealed and sent off to the store.  Nobody's fault, but lettuce is one of the things I like to plant early - like peas - but not this year. 

We took some pictures this morning so you can see how pretty it's getting here.   This morning there were no pesky black flies, even in the woods.  I expect there were around, but as long as we kept moving, they didn't bother.


We're looking forward to seeing lots of you at the spring meeting on Saturday.  Remember it's at 10 a.m. at the pavilion.  See you then!






 

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...