Sunday, October 23, 2011

Our day started off cool and bright - about 40 degrees, but bright sunshine. Now it's about 48 degrees and clouded over. So far we haven't had any rain, but I wouldn't want to bet against it.

I think it's about the same temperature as yesterday, but we got a little rain then. We went to the soccer game between Walden and Waterford schools, at Walden, and standing on the sidelines it was pretty chilly, even with our winter parkas on. It was mainly feet and hands that su
ffered, but for the hour and a half or so we were there, it wasn't too bad, and it didn't rain enough for us to open our umbrellas. Theresa and Marie came - Bob and Jamie couldn't make it - and of course Bill, Monika and baby Tangeni were there. Tangeni seemed to want to be where the action was, but her Mommy was concerned about the cold weather, so most of the time Tangeni was in the warm car while her big sister was on the playing field.








At 3 1/2 months, Tangeni is already very good at letting folks know when she is displeased with what's happening - especially when it's happening to her. She app
arently had an aversion to the harness her mom tried to strap her into so they could both be outside watching the game. It obviously didn't work for Tangeni and she protested loudly every time Monika tried to hitch her into it. I thought maybe she wasn't happy having to face towards her mom and away from the action, but each try in that sling met with her strong disapproval.

It was fun watching the youngsters play. They were all seventh and eighth grade students, and because both schools are small, boys and girls played together. Also, both teams colors are green, so Waterford wore yellow and orange vests. The Waterford team lost to Walden, 3-1. That's Jo-Ann in this picture, and although she doesn't look cold here, she was eager to get her hands under warm water as soon as she got to our house. Everyone came back here for some hot lunch, happy to be where it was "Fred degrees" by the wood stove.










While we were waiting for the corn bread to finish baking, we got to catch up with everyone a little bit. Even though we're all in close proximity, we really don't all get together often, and we've all be busy this fall. The picture above is (left to right) me, Theresa and Monika. We were giggling about Jamie dropping in to see his nieces, but he was too busy to stay for lunch. Not having time to eat is unusual for Jamie, but he hadn't seen either Jo-Ann or Tangeni for a while and this was too good an opportunity to miss. We'll be getting together again if a few weeks for Thanksgiving at Bill and Monika's.

By the way, something about the way blogger.com now displays photos has changed. If you click on a picture to enlarge it, you can see all the other photos posted in that particular entry. The thing to remember is to click on the "x" at the upper right corner of the picture screen to get back to the blog, otherwise, you may end up on home page of the website and have to go into the blog all over again to finish reading. These things get changed by blogger.com from time to time without notice and I have no choice in the matter. I liked it better when the pictures were presented as a separate page, but I like the way the pictures look on the screen now better than the old way. Again, it's a trade off, but one over which I have no control.

Right now I need to try to get a new page up on the Cabot Historical Society website, www.cabothistory.com A while back Kate Chatot asked me some questions regarding Cabot's history, with the intent of incorporating that information into the town plan that is nearing completion. I was able to give her the information, but in the process of finding it, I started taking notes and eventually found myself with a long list of "happenings" from the past. I really like information to be ordered, preferably chronologically. It makes more sense to me than searching in several books or manuscripts, finding meaningful dates which I seldom remember, and having to refer back and forth trying to grasp the facts. So I assembled my penciled notes and spent some time putting them into a document that I was later able to arrange chronologically. I realize my list is going to go on and on and probably will require corrections along the way, but it's a start, and might be of use to someone, somewhere, if it's available on the website. It's definitely a case of "way more information than originally asked for" and I didn't burden Kate with all of it; but for me it was interesting journey, and I now have a clearer understanding of Cabot's early years.

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...