Wednesday, June 22, 2011

We've had another response to launching the SportYak off the boathouse years ago - Patti Powell Nichols weighed in today. Here's what she wrote:

At least I was sane enough only to go off the dock in the sportyak. I figured anything that took three ski ropes to get adequate length to reach the roof was way too much. Even going off the dock hurt, although I think Bill took the brunt of it. Will miss jumping off the boathouse, though. I'll have to talk to the boys about inaugurating the new one!

I'm glad you had better sense than to go off the boathouse roof in that thing, Patti - going off the dock was brave enough to keep you one of the gang! I wonder how all you adults with children (and some grandchildren, now) dealt with similar shenanigans when your kids were growing up on Joe's Pond? Or maybe that next generation found less dangerous amusement . . .?


Here's a notice from Homer and Margaret Fitts:

HI -
JUST SO YOU WILL KNOW IN CASE YOU ARE AT ALL INTERESTED.
SUNDAY NIGHT, JUNE 26th, AT 7:00 P.M., THE PEACHAM CHURCH WILL BE AT THE OLD NORTH CHURCH IN NORTH DANVILLE. PASTOR BOB POTTER WILL BE IN CHARGE. THE PEACHAM CHOIR PLUS THE PEACHAM CHURCH YOUTH ORCHESTRA WILL BE THERE ALSO. PEOPLE BRING FLASHLIGHTS TO SEE THE HYMNALS TO SING. THE CHURCH HAS NO ELECTRICITY AND ONLY KEROSENE LAMPS.
ON SUNDAY JULY 3rd THE MAPLE LEAF SEVEN, A JAZZ WORSHIP GROUP, WILL BE AT THE PEACHAM CONGREGATIOINAL CHURCH FOR THE 9:30 A.M. WORSHIP SERVICE. THIS IS A LARGELY ATTENDED ANNUAL SPECIAL SERVICE. IT IS SIMPLY GREAT !
WE WILL BE ATTENDING BOTH OF THESE.
HOMER AND MARGARET


I looked out at my garden a few minutes ago and saw this handsome fellow working on the logs I use to define the raised beds. I don't know how long he'd been there, but he waited for me to take several pictures from the window. I see ants working in the old logs sometimes, so he may have been feasting on them. He's welcome to 'em.

Speaking of the boathouse, work will begin soon to put up the new one. It won't look quite the same - the boys will have a bit more pitch to the roof (no more partying on the boathouse roof - I expect it will get christened in some way, but everyone will be closer to water level!), and the siding will come close to matching the camp, I think. It will be rebuilt around the existing ironwork that has supported it for so many years - probably since the mid 1940's. Those heavy angle irons were all that kept it from falling into the pond when the icebergs smashed into it.

No comments:

Update & Request

 Marti Talbot, Carolyn Hamilton's sister-in-law, emailed me this morning to thank everyone who has reached out to Carolyn while she'...