Thursday, December 23, 2010

We had nearly 5 inches of snow last night, and it was not the light fluffy kind we'd been getting. It was just enough to glaze over highways and there were several accidents, one in Concord, just east of St. Johnsbury, that resulted in a death, but we don't have any further information yet. State Police are saying that people are just driving too fast for conditions. Most of us who are used to Vermont driving realize there's an adjustment period when the first snows come and we have to remind ourselves to slow down. Those roads aren't just wet - they often look wet but are actually black ice and treacherous.

We have been seeing a lot of trucks hauling wood chips using West Shore Road. I don't know where they're coming from or going to, but earlier in the week there seemed to be a continuous relay with a truck coming or going every half hour or so. I met one as I was heading for Rt. 2 the other day. It was by Lucenti's where the road is pretty narrow and there are steep banks - down onto Lucenti's lawn on the lake side, and a dirt and rock bank on the opposite side. Not much room to navigate. The truck driver didn't flinch, but I was afraid he'd end up in the pond. It seemed to me he didn't slow at all, but maybe that was because I was nearly at a standstill, hugging that dirt bank. I was on my way to Danville Health Center for a blood pressure check . . . ! It's nearly as frightening when they pass us while we're walking. We always get as far off the road as possible and prepare for an emergency dive into the ditch or snow bank if necessary.

We were in St. Johnsbury to grocery shop and get haircuts today. The grocery stores were busy, and later we had an errand at the Green Mountain Mall. There were lots of cars there, especially at Job Lots and J.C.Penny. Inside, I didn't think it was very busy and there aren't many vendors in the center aisle as in past years, either. I also stopped at Artistic Gardens and they said business had been "steady" but they hadn't had to hire extra help as in years past.

We also heard lots of people saying how glad they'll be when Christmas is over. I guess we all feel how hectic it can get, but for all of that, it's a lovely time of the year and I enjoy the music and decorations and the spirit of the whole thing. So tomorrow I'll be getting ready for our family party at Jamie and Marie's, and getting a head start on cooking for our guests on Christmas Day. So, Ho, Ho, Ho, and Merry Christmas! Be happy, safe and enjoy family and friends, and I hope Santa is good to you.

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...