Saturday, November 20, 2010

Lunch in Littleton

As promised, here's more information on the Mittershill ski area at Cannon Mt., NH. Some Mittershill History and more: Mittershill Update
to go along with the video I posted late last night (see entry below today's.)

We were in Littleton yesterday to celebrate my October birthday. Let me explain. We have a group, four of us - Fred (Jan.), Louise (May), Elizabeth (July) and myself - who enjoy getting together for lunch on or near our birthdays. We were doing very well until my turn. Elizabeth went to visit her family in Switzerland, getting back in early October; but from then on, there was one delay after another before we could all find a convenient time to go - thus, my celebration yesterday.

As we we
re coming down Rt. 15 into West Danville - I had taken the Harrington Hill short-cut from Brickett's Crossing Road - there was a very large flock of geese enjoying the beach. These were only a few of them, and they weren't particularly shy about our stopping, but we didn't want them to waste energy taking off, so we kept our distance. The flags mark the snowmobile trail. We don't have enough snow yet, but it won't be long before the geese will be gone and the snowmobile crowd will be here and happy.

The weather yesterday was not bad. It was chilly and there were some snowflakes in the air here as we left, but but in St. Johnsbury and Littleton, the weather improved, but I don't believe it got much above 40 degrees.

Going to "99" in Littleton came about because someone went there and had their lobster roll summer before last. We agree they make just about the best lobster roll any of us have ever had. We knew they only make them in the summer months, but we went there yesterday on the outside chance there may have been enough demand so they were still on the menu. The weren't, but we all found other choices and it turned out just fine. That's Louise in the first picture, while Elizabeth (in the red jacket) and I get settled at the table. Later, I took this picture of Elizabeth and Fred.

We saw Russ and Ginny Reed from St. Johnsbury there. The Reeds have been friends for many years, and were neighbors when I was living in St. Johnsbury. They also had a cottage here at Joe's Pond for many years, and their daughter, Beth and her husband, Robert Wechsler, have a cottage on Barre Avenue.

After stops at Staples and Walmart, we went to the new McDonald's for ice cream. Neither Louise nor Elizabeth had seen it. It's quite nice, but typical. This new place opened near the site of the old Continental Motor Inn, right at the exit from the interstate. It's much more visible than the old one up the road towards town. There's still more space where I'm sure there will be something else built soon.

The view on the way home looking north towards Willoughby Lake was lovely, and later, after a stop at Price Chopper for all of us to pick up a few items, we headed home. I took another picture as we passed the Beattie farm just outside of Danville. That stream of traffic is normal in late afternoon when people are on the move from their work places.

We've been at home all day today, catching up a bit. The weather has been very changeable with some sun, some snow, some wind, and not very warm temperatures. It was in the teens last night, and I expect it may be again tonight, although I think the forecast was for a warming trend. I spoke to a gentleman in Venice, Florida this morning and he told me it was a lovely 85 degrees there. At that particular moment we were having a mini-blizzard, right out of Canada by way of Walden. His call was just a thank you to let me know he'd received the information he'd asked for which I sent about a week ago, and I was able to let him know I will now mail off some photos.
I'm glad we went a couple weeks ago to take pictures of the Perry grave sites he was interested in. I knew better than to wait too long because West Hill Cemetery is akin to the Plains Cemetery when it comes to snow, cold and wind exposure. Fortunately, I got pictures of exactly what he needs for verification on his genealogy pages and I won't need to make another trip to West Hill.


No comments:

Spring Mix!

I started this a couple days ago but got kind of busy and never got back to it. I had posted about the Route 2 construction, but that notice...