Wednesday, May 26, 2010

From Sue LaGue: I have been on a mission to try to get rid of this red lily beetle that has migrated north. Being an avid gardener, I hate to see all the Asiatic and Oriental lilies (includes tiger and Easter lilies too) get decimated by this bug eating it and then the larvae in a brown gooey mess killing the plant. Walter has hundreds of lilies that are that type, on a stem, not the grass leaf day lilies. I am trying to play catch up to help save Walter’s lilies by using this product with Neem oil that is natural but deters the beetles. The other product I heard people use is milky spore, but it’s more effective to kill the grub form when the beetle hibernates. So if any people have these lilies, squish those bugs and put Neem on. More severe insecticides can work but may be too harsh for the plant or environment. I wouldn’t recommend buying these plants either though I see them mostly in the larger stores. Most small nurseries know the problem and won’t sell them.

The Granite Center Garden Club in Barre is having their annual plant sale on Friday, May 28th at the Granite Museum, 6:30 to 10 AM so that is why I am here to finish up my potting and plants for the sale. Lots of different plants at good prices, so if there are any gardeners willing to go to Barre, it’s worth it. Just go early. Thanks.

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...