Wednesday, March 24, 2010


Okay! Winter's back!! Well, at least normal March weather seems to be here, finally. We awoke to about an inch of snow this morning and temperature in the high 20's - and we've been experiencing snow showers all morning with a brisk northwest (I think) wind. It's hard to tell which direction the wind is coming from here sometimes as it seems to have a backlash over the hill in back of our house. But the flag and the snow blowing around seem to indicate west or northwest.

We're confident this will slow melting and runoff considerably and will give let the dam catch up. Here's the message our president, Tom Dente, received from Charlie Pughe at the power company yesterday:

We are running the unit at full and the bag was deflated - Dave
Tetreault is on site watching things. We always lag the incoming water
to the big pond - there is very little we can do about this and still
maintain our operational permit with the state. We will be continuing
to monitor - it is flooding everywhere in Vermont today - the Winooski
is way up along the interstate. --Charlie Pughe

I heard from Homer this morning and he and Margaret are at home in Barre. I wish I'd known yesterday - I would have had him come over to the pond to talk with the Fox TV (Channel 44) reporter, Mitch Pittman. We had hoped to have Don Walker, but he was out when I talked with Audrey and there was only about an hour before the interview, so I guess he couldn't make it. We got it done, though.

Mitch talked to a bunch of people, but we saw the clip last night on the 10 o'clock news and again this morning, and he used only a few. That's what usuall
y happens, we've found. Sometimes what you want to tell people doesn't get put on, but any publicity is good, so we keep doing it. It was cold out there and Fred and I were glad to get home to the wood stove and a hot supper.

While we were at Hastings Store, Garey talked with Everett Drew who fishes all winter on the ice. Everett had been fishing yesterday and told Garey the ice is still 18 inches thick. The most ice I've heard all winter was 24 inches. I don't know if having 18 inches now is about the same as normal or not. Maybe I mentioned it here on the blog last year. I'll check back and try to locate something.

Right now, it's time for lunch and I'm hungry. There may be something blogsworthy later in the day . . .



No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...