Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A very cold morning - 8 degrees at about 6 a.m. There's a wind out there, but I decided not to try to go down our icy driveway to take a measurement where the wind usually whips along W. Shore Rd. by our mailboxes. We've always thought that would be a perfect place for a windmill. I took my anemometer with me when I went out to get precipitation measurements (.5 in. new snow, 11.5 in. at the stake), but got a reading of only about 2.7 mph. I could see the treetops swaying in the woods in back of our house, but our back yard is fairly sheltered from the wind at ground level.

Fred was taking pictures as I did my CoCoRaHS routine. I didn't know until I got back inside. I was trying to get a reading on my anemometer in these shots. It's still pretty cold at 12 degrees, so I didn't linger out there long. It was one of those mornings when you go out and your nostrils stick together and the air feels like sandpaper when you breathe. I'm glad I have plenty to do inside today. I'll keep Woody, our cat, company while Fred is off to recycle our stuff in Hardwick.

We think Bill and Monika will have their delayed luggage sometime tomorrow. It is about 4:30 p.m. in Namibia now, but we talked to them earlier today. They were doing laundry at a mall in the city of Windhoek. Bill said they had a hard time finding a place to do laundry. Perhaps because the country is so arid there aren't laundromats like we have here. Apparently no facilities at their hotel. They'd bought new clothing to tide them over until the luggage shows up, but with temperatures in the 90's and 100's, people must perspire some even though the humidity ranges in the single numbers. I will have more news and perhaps some photos once Bill has his luggage and all their gadgets to work with.

As you can tell, there's isn't much going on here today. It's one of those days you can look out your window and tell immediately that it's cold. There's a frosty haze to the north over Walden. Here we're just beginning to see a little snow in the air.
The sun was out a little while ago, but there are clouds scudding out of the northwest and it isn't likely we'll see much sunshine today.

No comments:

News & Chatter

I was saddened this morning when I read in the Caledonian Record that Archie Prevost passed away. Archie was well known around Joe's P...