Friday, December 11, 2009

The temperature has stayed pretty much in the teens all day and the wind is still howling. I'm estimating the wind at about 30 m.p.h., and right now the temperature is 15 degrees, so the wind chill is about a -5. We were out this evening with Bill and Diane Rossi to go to a concert at Fuller Hall in St. Johnsbury. It was cold and blustery in St. J, too.

The concert was nice - both St. Johnsbury Academy Jazz Band and Lyndon Institute Jazz Band played, and then the Swing North Big Band took over the stage. We all thoroughly enjoyed the music - lots of holiday favorites done up in grand big band style. I think Bill and Diane are planning on going to Burke Mountain to ski tomorrow, but if it isn't warmer than it's been today, I'd have to say they will need warmup stops between every run. I'll stay by the fire, I think.

We had 6.5 in. of new snow when I measured this morning, and 17 in. at the stake. It has been snowing and blowing all day, but late this afternoon when Fred took the snow blower out again, there seemed to be only a couple inches of very light, dry snow. Mostly it's blowing around, I guess. I think the wind has perhaps picked up tonight. This is our house, wrapped in winter white.

Fred went to get gas and do errands in the village this morning and took some pictures along the way. There was a large flock of Canada Geese hunkered down out in front of Rossi's. There was still open water at that time, but they were wisely settled in the snow on the ice where they wouldn't run the risk of getting frozen into the ice. Sadly, we've seen ducks meet their demise that way, but these guys seemed content to wait out the storm or at least wait for the right wind direction to assist them on their way. You'll see them at the end of the slide show.
Slides

No comments:

News & Chatter

I was saddened this morning when I read in the Caledonian Record that Archie Prevost passed away. Archie was well known around Joe's P...