Wednesday, October 28, 2009


Cloudy morning and we've had a few sprinkles, but the rain has held off so far. Fred is busy stacking the wood that was delivered yesterday, and a few minutes ago a second load came. I think there will be two more loads and that will do it for this year. He stacks it out back where it's out of the way. I took the spot where we'd had wood stacked two years ago for my vegetable garden this spring, which worked out well, and I'm keeping it, so Fred is stuck hauling it up the hill. I'd help, but I'm waiting for a call from Staples on his computer . . . he's anxious to get that back, and I'm anxious for him to. It hasn't been bad at all sharing one computer, because we've both had other things to do away from the computer, but I know he misses being in his own space, and I'm anxious to get back to my own schedule.

I had an e-mail from Pat Parizo this morning saying they are having similar problems getting to some web sites that we've had. In view of what Eric told us yesterday about a particular modem not behaving well in this area, I suggested Pat give Fairpoint a call. The modem doesn't cost anything - it's customer service, I guess. Fairpoint owns them and if they fail, they replace them. It's worth a try.

Yesterday we had a lot of wind and as we were having lunch, we heard a thud! that we thought was a probably a storm door that hadn't been latched and was caught by the wind. All the doors were secure, but then Fred noticed the flag pole was down. Our flag pole is pretty tall and it had been secured to the deck, so when it went down it went towards the driveway, narrowly missing the power line leading into the house. THAT would have made a rumpus, I'll bet, if it had hit it. Now we have another "project" to get the pole put back up. We're thinking with the winter gales ahead, perhaps we'll just wait until spring. I don't like to leave the flag out in the wet and freezing weather anyway - although I do like having the American flag flying.

Just got a Halloween card and note from Homer and Margaret Fitts. They enclosed a picture taken at their wedding on Sept. 19. Hey, Homer, you're looking very dapper! And Margaret is glowing. Here's what Homer wrote:

"We are doing Great! Enjoying every minute of every day. Will close camp for the winter and open 1st of April - in time for the clock to be running."

We were wondering if he and Margaret would be heading south and might not get back early enough in the spring to be on hand for the Ice-Out Contest, so it's good to know Homer will be here to set it up as usual.

I just remarked to Pat Parizo that some days I don't have much at all to blog about, and then the mail came while I was here typing away and I opened the note from Homer and found the picture. Some days it's just one big smile after another around here.

Now if Staples would just call . . .

No comments:

Update & Request

 Marti Talbot, Carolyn Hamilton's sister-in-law, emailed me this morning to thank everyone who has reached out to Carolyn while she'...