Tuesday, September 22, 2009

We were away most of today. We met Tom and Ellie (Fred's brother and wife) for lunch at Gordi's at Loon Mountain. We left early and did an errand in Littleton, and the weather was doubtful when we left. It was very nice as the day progressed, even summery warm. Not as much color in the mountains as we have here, but we enjoyed the trip and it was great to see Tom and Ellie. They lead busy lives when they are at home in Laconia, and then they are gone all winter to Colorado where Tom enjoys being a ski instructor at Beaver Creek. We hadn't seen them all summer, so it was time to catch up on family news all around.

As we were leaving Loon Mountain, we heard a train whistle, and then watched a short excursion train moving slowly a short distance away. It was around 2 p.m., and I don't know for sure where it may have originated, but it must have been a very pleasant ride through the mountains, even if the foliage wasn't peak there.

On the way back I took a few pictures coming through the Cannon Mt. area, but nothing unusual. We stopped in West Danville to check on the mail and Jenny and Alyssa were in the store. Fred couldn't resist some pictures of them!

When we got home and I had a chance to check my e-mail I found Steve and Bev Allen had taken a picture of the sunrise this morning. It's a bit late getting on the blog, but here it is. Nice picture. Steve wrote:
Jane,
Thought you might like this pic of sunrise this morning. Seems we get 1 or 2 like this every September - or maybe they just are coming late enough now so everybody is up and around!
Steve

Thanks, Steve for sending that. It was a warmish night last night, so there wasn't much fog over the water like there has been on the two or so frosty mornings over the weekend. Last night it was actually very balmy outside. I had a meeting in Cabot for Fall Foliage Day that's coming up next Tuesday, and as usual, I stopped at the Plains Cemetery to look at the sky. There was, of course, a stiff breeze up there, but it was warm, kinda like spring. I got this picture but was in a hurry to get home so I didn't wait around for the sky to change.

By the way, I noticed when I went by the Burtt farm on my way to Cabot their apple orchard is producing very well. I could see lots of bright red apples on the trees. I was surprised that those small trees were ready to produce, but indeed they seem to be doing well. The orchard is open for people to pick their own on weekends for a while, I believe through October unless we get a really hard frost, I guess.

We were surprised the other day to find some fairly large choke-cherry trees on our lower lawn broken over. They are big enough so only a large animal could have done it, and we found scat and claw marks that clearly mean a bear. We think it must be hanging out right in this area because this is the second time in the past couple of weeks we've found tree damage like that. We don't begrudge them the choke cherries, but I do wish they'd spare the trees. We hope they don't develop a taste for grapes - our old arbor wouldn't withstand a heavyweight like that I'm afraid. Fred says the grapes aren't quite ready yet and figures the birds will have them way before either a bear or we have a chance. Somehow the birds know exactly when they should be picked. There again - they need them more than we do, I guess.

We're beginning to get reservations for the turkey dinner next Tuesday in Cabot. I look forward to it, too. It's really good. I think Rose (Bothfeld) said they are cooking something like 30 turkeys! There have been years when they ran out of food. They were looking for people to help peel squash - that's one thing I'd NEVER volunteer for. One of the women at the meeting said if you put them in the microwave for a few minutes they are easier to peel. Maybe I'll try that . . . but I usually just bake them, skins on, and then it's easy to scoop out the good part. We're hoping the weather cooperates so it isn't raining or snowing and folks can enjoy the day next Tuesday. We have something very special this year. There will be an afternoon concert by Isaac James, concert pianist, at the Cabot School performing arts building. The program includes selections by Chopin, Debussy, Rachmoninoff and Schubert and is at 4 p.m., free, but donations to help defray his expenses will be welcome. We hope people will come for the concert and stay for the turkey dinner - or take some turkey home. I'm putting in my order for take-out!




No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...