Monday, September 28, 2009

This is a busy day here, fielding calls for reservations for the turkey supper in Cabot tomorrow evening and other last-minute questions about Fall Foliage Day. As usual, there are a few heart-stopping moments when we think we may have overlooked something really important, but as Blanche Lamore says, "It's coming together really well, like it always does." Blanche has been doing this for almost 50 years, so not much rattles her. In case you are wondering who Blanche is, she is chair person of Cabot's Fall Foliage Day, and is works on more committees and is an officer on more boards than I can enumerate - and she's 97 years old! She's less than 5 ft. tall and probably weighs under 100 pounds, but she has more energy than any three of us younger gals put together. She's the glue that keeps things together.

Speaking of heart-stopping, this morning Fred and I were walking at around 8 a.m. on W. Shore Rd. when we heard what we thought was a car coming down the hill in back of us. We were walking on the left, facing traffic, so both started to move further to the left for the "car" to pass. As we did so, a bicycle whizzed past me on my left and I barely avoided a collision. Talk about heart-stopping! We later met the same girl coming the opposite direction - again, she was riding on the left side of the road rather than keeping to the right where wheeled traffic is supposed to be. She didn't stop, but sort of apologized for startling me and kept going, on the left-hand side of the road. I hope she will be more careful another time and ring a bell or something when she is coming upon pedestrians - and ride on the right-hand side of the road. Bicycles are considered "vehicles" and should stay as far to the right of a public road as possible, adhering to the same laws of the road as automobiles. I don't mean to be a grumpy old lady, but I shudder to think of how much damage a speeding bicyclist and I could do to each other in a crash.

I'm sure some of you will remember J.J. Cioffe who did sportscasting on WCAX for many years. A while back JJ left WCAX to go to California. Over the weekend, Fred sent off an e-mail to JJ just to let him know we think about him and miss him here in Vermont, and JJ shot back a nice reply:
Fred,

That's so nice of you to take the time to track me down and write. I appreciate your comments so much. There are many things I miss about Vermont and the biggest is the connection with people who have watched us over the years. I'm glad the departtment is in the capable hands of Mike McCune who is doing a great job!

Life is good out here in Palm Springs. I'm selling advertising for a radio group and having a ball. Playing golf year round is great, too.

My best to your wife. Have a great day.

- JJ


Fred and I first met JJ when he worked at a television station in the White River Junction area. I believe JJ grew up in the Rutland area. We wish him well in his career change.

Bill and Diane Rossi just got back from a long weekend in Portland, ME. Diane sent this photo of the Portland lighthouse. Looks like spectacular weather there. Perhaps she'll send more pictures later.

Perhaps you noticed the comment left on yesterday's blog entry. To Leo, who grew up in Burke Hollow, just north of St. Johnsbury and to his mom, a big thank yo
u, and welcome to our Joe's Pond blog. Very nice to hear from folks like that.

I'll have the camera with me tomorrow so should have some pictures of ou
r Fall Foliage visitors. The way the reservations for the turkey supper are coming in, we will have lots of people there - at least for the meal. I'm hoping we have a good crowd taking the tours, as well. Marion Heath and I will be at the registration desk in the lobby of the gym to help you get where you want to be, so stop by and say hello. We'll have maps, tour information and other handouts to make your day easier and more interesting, even if you're an old hand about our Fall Foliage Day. You'll be able to get your meal tickets there and coffee and doughnuts will be available in the morning, crafts on exhibit all day. See you there!

I received this note a few minutes ago from Mary Beth Churchill at the Times Argus:

Jane, I stopped by Leland Ennis [and Velma Smith's] home yesterday and I was impressed with [their] collection of collectibles. WOW!! I do hope the tourist or leaf peepers do visit . . .Tell the tourists to definitely go there. I was totally in awe after I left there.

Mary Beth Churchill

I sure will, Mary Beth. It is not only a beautiful custom-built log home, the view from there is spectacular. This is a chance you shouldn't miss. To get there from Rt. 2, take Danville Hill Road, just before you get to Goodrich's Sugar House, and watch for Urban Road on your right. You will be able to see the house on the top of the hill as you approach on Urban Road. The driveway is a left turn a few yards up Urban Road, and curves up the hill to the very top. This land was where Velma (Urban) Smith grew up, the house you pass on the right was the Urban's home, the barn was across the road where there's now a small house. Velma said she always wanted a house on that hilltop, even as a youngster. The fields and pastures surrounding her were once all part of the family farm.

If you approach from Cabot Village, take Danville Hill Road (across from the grocery store) about two miles to Urban Road on your left. Easy to find. Worth the trip, great scenery along the way.

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...