Friday, August 14, 2009

I've been in touch with several of my cousins lately - in Florida, Colorado, Virginia - scattered across the country. I won't go into detail except to say that news of illness in the family started it all - except for Christmas messages, we aren't usually in touch often. We are all retired, busy with family and living, and I'm the only Bolton left in Cabot. That and memories of the farm on Cabot Plain, create a strong bond.
Two of my cousins sent me this - from a former Texas high school student, and I thought you might get a chuckle.
Click Here

I just went through some newspapers I hadn't been through to check for news items I need to clip for my files, JPA and the historical society. (Yes, I keep all sorts of stuff.) I'm always relieved when there are no obituaries I need to clip, and today I found just interesting stuff as follows:

Our Cabot United Church minister, the Rev. Bill Cobb, has announced his retirement at the end of December. Our little church in Cabot is in much the same predicament as the ones in West Danville and Walden, and many other small and not-so-small churches these days. Rev. Cobb has been here since 2002 and it's been a struggle to find money enough to keep going. I suspect there will be guest ministers for a while - perhaps the three town could join forces somehow, who knows? We wish Bill the best in his continued Christian endeavours.

Along the same line of thought, Rev. David McBride will be guest preacher on Sunday, Aug. 16, at 10:30 a.m. This is part of Old Home Week in Cabot, and there will also be an organ and choral concert at the church at 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon. Tomorrow (Saturday) there's a flea market on the Cabot Common from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and the Historical Society building will be open from 1-4 p.m. With the weather cooperating beautifully, we hope lots of folks will visit and enjoy.

Also in the Hardwick Gazette, I found an article about the vandalism a couple weeks ago at the Elm Street Cemetery. According to reporter Will Walters, the select board is offering a reward of $500 "for information leading to the arrest and conviction" of those responsible for the damage.

The same article went on to report that Gary Gulka of Cabot reported to the Cabot Select Board there are "10 to 12 properties in the village and a number in Lower Cabot in the flood plain." This designation effects insurance rates for those home owners. Gulka also said that properties at ponds in town are now designated as being in flood hazard areas. Maps showing the new designations are available at the town offices. The Board will send notifications to inform affected property owners of the change. There will be an appeal period of 90 days. Anyone interested in knowing if their property has been affected by the new mapping should either stop at the town office or call, 563-2279.

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...