Saturday, July 25, 2009

The weather has been pretty nice most of the day. We went to Danville this morning. As we bopped around taking care of business, we bumped into several friends. We saw Bruce and Shirley Anderson, and that's always such a pleasure. Bruce worked at Social Security when we did and was the most consistently upbeat person I've ever known. We saw several other folks, too. Marty's First Stop was very busy and we saw people we knew there and in West Danville. A weekend
with (for us) good weather is a great combination and people were out and about.

I went to the cemetery in Danville to get pictures of the gravestones for my great grandparents whose photographs I posted a little while back. We found the stones quite quickly even though I wasn't sure where they were. I've only located them perhaps twice before, some years ago. I often go to the Cabot cemeteries to photograph grave markers for people who cannot come here to do it themselves, but hadn't thought to do it for my own family. Eventually I'll put the information together in case family members are interested, but for now I must concentrate on other Cabot families. I just received a very large box of papers, letters and photos from an elderly friend who used to live in Cabot, and I'm sure there's a wealth of history there we'll want to preserve.

Tomorrow I'll be working at the historical society building again, and that should actually finish up the inventory we've been doing. Then I can get back to the paper collection. Speaking of history, I noticed we had a nice comment today from someone in California who used to spend time at Joe's Pond as a child and had connections to Cabot. I believe the cottage she used to visit was owned back then by the Straubs, and is now owned by Ray and Cyndi Rouleau.

Tomorrow promises to be another rainy day. Those of us who stay here year around are hoping the weather pattern changes before winter sets in or we could be in for a heap of snow - again. Good for the ski industry, but hard on our backs and sometimes our fenders.




No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...