Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The obituary for Garey Larrabee's sister, Shirley L. Brochu, was in the Caledonian Record yesterday. Shirley Brochu

Friends may send condolences to Garey and his family at: P. O. Box 58, W. Danville, VT 05873.
*****

The weather pattern remains intact, presenting a little sunshine in the mornings and then showers off and on. Farmers are having real difficulty getting their hay crop in. Hay may be in very short supply this year. Most of the big fields in our immediate area still have not been cut. We went to St. Johnsbury late yesterday afternoon and noticed several fields down that had been mowed along Rt. 2 south of Danville, and one had been raked ready for baling, so if they didn't get showers last night, they might get some of it in today.

I had .10 in. of precipitation in my gauge this morning, and again, the sun seems to be struggling to shine through the clouds. And it isn't very warm, either. Like last summer, we're having a small fire at some point every day "to take the chill off."

Yesterday was an eventful day for me. My cousin, Janice (Farrow) Morrill, brought two very large and very old pictures of my great grandparents, John and Harriet (Denison) Bolton - they would be Janice's great aunt and uncle. They were t
oo large to scan, so I photographed them. Of course, this isn't important except to families, but I was thrilled to finally see what my great grandparents looked like. They had moved to Minnesota for a time when their family was very young, but moved back to Vermont in the early 1860's, and John enlisted in Vt. Volunteer Infantry in July of 1862. He was mustered out in April of 1863, having been wounded twice. My grandfather used to tell the story that they treated his wound by having several men hold him down and running a rod with a salt-soaked rag through the wound. The story always ended with, "but it saved his life."


No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...