Saturday, July 11, 2009


If you weren't at the Bean Supper at the Joe's Pond pavilion tonight, you missed a really good meal and a congenial group. Here are some pictures:Bean Supper

During the evening there was a very hard rain storm with lots of wind. The rain pelted the roof of the pavilion and the side curtains billowed as gusts hit, but we stayed comfortable and dry - except that the rain ran under the curtains to wet the floor, but no harm done.

We had a beautiful warm, sunny day until late afternoon when the clouds settled in and eventually, as has been the pattern so far this summer, the rains came. Kate Chatot told me tonight the water in the pond is colder than usual, too. We've had a fire in the wood stove most nights and all too often, during the daytime, too. So far we haven't discovered any damage done by the wind tonight, I'm sure there were a few limbs broken off trees, and perhaps a few tipped over. I won't read my rain gauge until tomorrow morning, but we must have had a pretty good measure of rain. I'll be interested to see how much.

If some of you saw fire near Sandy Beach Road Friday night, it was the Bouchards and Rubalcabas enjoying a lovely evening around a "way bigger than normal camp fire" with friends. Sue Bouchard called yesterday to find out about getting a fire permit. Good thing, too. After the big fire in St. Johnsbury Thursday night, I expect the local fire departments would have taken a dim view of turning out for an unauthorized burning.

Think "sunshine" for tomorrow.







No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...