Thursday, July 30, 2009

Here's a link to the article in the Times Argus about the fire in Cabot last week:
Times Argus

I reported 1.58 inches of rain this morning. When I signed up to monitor precipitation for CoCoRahS, I needed an "official" rain gauge. It's a 4-inch diameter cylinder with a smaller calibrated tube inside that measures up to one inch and the runoff from the smaller tube is collected in the four-inch cylinder so it can be measured. Long before I got involved with CoCoRahS, I purchased a V-shaped rain gauge that I stick in one of my flower boxes on our deck every summer. This morning Fred read that one as I was taking my official measurements, and the measurements were the same. My neighbor, Elizabeth, has one just like it, so she'll be pleased to know how accurate it is. We'll plan to compare the two often just to be sure, but I'm pretty impressed.

We're expecting someone to come to fix our overhead door today. Suddenly it has become really balky, and although Fred has tried everything he and I can think of to get it to quit doing it's own thing instead of our bidding, but nothing has worked. We can easily operate it manually, but when we're coming up our steep driveway in the winter, it's really nice not to have to stop, get out, and open the door. I know, we're spoiled, but after years with no garage at all when we lived at camp, we really do appreciate our garage - AND it's automatic door which we can usually open from the road as we turn into our drive so it's opening as we sail up and inside without losing momentum - perfect timing.

While we wait for the overhead door folks, we're going to take the wooden swing doors off our utility shed and re-hang them. We have to do this every few years as the building and ground shifts with weather and age. It's getting a nice new coat of paint this year but before we paint the doors, we need to adjust them. Fred's out there now - I'm on my way.

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...