Monday, June 22, 2009

Today I have a mystery for you to solve. I worked at the Cabot Historical Society building yesterday afternoon, taking inventory. Pictured here are two of the items I photographed for our records - only I don't have a clue what they are, and neither did anyone else working there yesterday. I'm sure Eric Ginette or Leonard Spencer would know, but before we take the question to one of them, I thought one of you might know. How about it?

There are twelve of the wooden "pegs" wired together - we think only to keep the pieces from getting lost - and each "peg" has threads at the end so they could be screwed into something else. Any ideas? (Click on the picture to make larger.)

There were lots of interesting things in the small area I worked on yesterday. There is a broken grave stone - a piece of field stone with the following engraving:
Stop my friend as you pass by. As you are now, so once was I. As I am now, you soon shall be. Prepare yourself to follow me.

We don't know whose grave might be missing this stone, or if that wa
s broken as it was being carved and another made to replace it. I have records of all the gravestones in our seven cemeteries, and although I'm pretty sure I've seen this epitaph before, I think it was quite commonly used and I can't place it. There are several unmarked grave sites in our cemeteries, and in the older ones, many broken stones. Perhaps one day we'll know more about this relic, too, but in the meantime, it has a home.

Today I'll be working at the West Hill School - our restored one-room school. It will be an interesting afternoon, I'm sure. Several of us will be doing inventory there so we can get it all done in one session. We hope.

No comments:

Spring and Reminders

This has been a busy weekend for me. I think the nice weather brought out not only the buds on trees and flowers, but it energized people. I...