Tuesday, May 26, 2009

IMPORTANT NOTICE!

This came from Pam Johnson today:

I wanted to let you know that yesterday my son Connor and I walked our dog from our place at 25 Edgewood Ave to Channel Drive and had some unexpected company along the way. On the old railroad tracks in between Old Homestead Rd and Brown Rd. we came upon a young bear 3 different times. It crossed in front of us heading toward route 15 and reappeared a couple of minutes later heading back toward the pond. Just before we reached Brown Rd it came out onto the tracks one last time, looked at us, and turned back toward Old Homestead Road.

We walked down Old Homestead Rd a bit and mentioned our experience to some folks who were sitting out back at their cottages, just so they would be aware. I suppose it wouldn't have bothered anyone. I have to admit though, the 3rd time it appeared I was a bit unsettled. I was surprised it was so close to us - especially because of the dog.

Just an FYI. Pam Johnson

Thanks to Pam for letting us know about the bear. I suspect the bear was more curious than anything else, but who wants a bear for a walking companion!!?

Experts say if you encounter a bear you should slowly back away or if it's too close, yell loudly to scare it away. Don't run, and don't climb a tree because if you do the bear will perceive you as prey and go after you. The ones we've seen haven't seemed at all threatening, and apparently this one wasn't - except maybe it was a bit too friendly . . .

Be on the lookout, be sure you have no bird feeders, pet food or garbage around to attract them to your property, and usually if you make plenty of noise when you're in the woods or where bears hang out, they will avoid you and you won't see them.

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...