Thursday, March 12, 2009

Only 21 days left to get your Ice-Out Contest ticket!

We're getting some wild weather right now. Last night the wind blew almost continually, and it's still blustery today. The sun has finally come out, but we're still experiencing pretty cold temps. My office thermometer reads only 10 above, but on the other side of the house it's about 16 above. With the wind blowing, it's a "feels like" temperature in the range of 10 below.

It may look like it's easy for that crow to stay perched in the treetop, but he was actually facing a really stiff wind and had to hang on tight to stay at his lookout post. I wanted to get a picture of him taking off, but as soon as he let go of the tree, he sailed out of camera range. (I was taking the picture from the kitchen window so I wouldn't spook him.) I've been watching clouds of dirt blowing down the road. At first I thought it was from traffic going by, but then I realized the wind is blowing directly down West Shore Road, picking up dirt along the flat past the mailboxes at the end of our drive and taking it airborne. It wouldn't be a good day for walking out there, and I'm sure there will be spots of glare ice where the dirt has blown off!

Everything is tightly frozen again, which is probably good so we don't get flooding. Days are beginning to warm, though, and by the weekend - if things go as forecast - we should be getting warmer days (40's) and freezing nights, which makes for good sap runs. I'm wondering if maple producers will continue to ask in the vicinity of $50/gal., or if they have a good year, perhaps the price will drop . . . ?

Here's something that may be of interest to some of you:
From St. Johnsbury Academy:  We are excited to let you know about some of our recently
released and most popular ed2go courses. All
of our courses are offered entirely online, and every course
includes expert assistance from a helpful and patient instructor.

This month's courses start on Wednesday, March 18, so there is
still time to enroll. If you are ready to start a course, simply
visit your Online Instruction Center at
http://www.ed2go.com/stjacademy and search for the course you
want to take.




No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...