Saturday, February 28, 2009

We just came back from a very short snowshoe trip in our woods. I'm ashamed to admit this is the first time I've been out all winter. It seemed as if every day was either too bitterly cold (although I rarely suffer from the cold when I'm showshoeing!) or the snow was way too deep. Some winters we've been out from the very first snowfall and have paths that are good all winter as long as we get out there every few days to keep them open and packed, but this year we just never got out there.

Today the temperatures ranged from about 10 above (now) to 17 above when we started off about an hour ago. The sun is dropping fast and that makes a huge difference. The rain we had a couple days ago firmed up the snow pack a
nd most of the way, even in the deep woods, there was a little crust under about 6-8 inches of light snow, and although the crust didn't actually hold us, we didn't sink to the depths which I'm guessing is at least three feet in the open and more where the wind has piled up the snow.

The top picture is a peak in the White Mountain range that we can see from our house. When the afternoon sun is on the mountains, we can see them plainly. Fred had the camera and was impressed with how clear and blue the sky was through the trees. He loves to take pictures of me when I'm struggling like coming up over that snow drift - it was a lot steeper than it looks in the picture! Fortunately, I have the last word when it comes to what pictures make it onto the blog.

For me it was lots of labor - and I don't like breathing that really cold air into my lungs, so although we were out about an hour, we didn't actually go very far. I never used to use poles, but for the last couple of years find they are a big help and make life much easier for me in the deep snow. Fred is in way better shape and has been out in the woods several times this year to get some of the wood piled there, so I was happy to let him go ahead to break trail.

The air was crisp and the
sunshine bright and even warm with the trees sheltering us from a pretty brisk north wind. I got the camera for a little while and got a picture of Fred, but because he's usually breaking trail I have to call to him to get him to turn around. Otherwise I don't get a shot of his better side . . .

While I had the camera, I got a picture of a decaying tree stump. I like the lines and cracks where the weather has worn it away literally in layers. This one had broken off well above the ground and at least half of it was buried in the snow. It makes a nice home for for small animals or birds to nest. One year a partridge made her nest at the bottom of a stump similar to this on one of our paths. We didn't realize she was there and walked by her only about a foot from where she sat, dead still on the nest. After that we took a long detour around her, but a few weeks later we found partridge feathers on the ground and the eggs deserted, so we imagine something found her there.

We saw some animal signs today, but nothing unusual, and nothing fresh, just some rabbit tracks and where some turkeys had gone through along the hillside. The bunnies don't mind
the deep snow as much, but I think the turkeys must have a really hard time getting around to find enough food when there's lots of snow. Larger animals like the deer and moose are pretty quiet now. Hopefully the winter hasn't been too hard on them, but I'm sure it hasn't been easy.

Not far above the house are some of our wood piles. Last fall we could barely reach to put the last of the wood on top, and today we could almost have stepped over them except for the ridge of snow on top. A week ago they were pretty well covered, but the warm days and rain, plus wind, carved away a lot of the snow.

Back home, our driveway has melted in spots where the sun hit today - a sure sign of spring! A few days ago it was covered with ice and you can see where Fred had spread sand so we could get up the hill into the garage.

A few minutes ago I had a call from Kitty Toll confirming the date for Danville Fair this year is Aug. 7-8. There had been some confusion, and earlier this week I was able to get in touch with Mert Leonard, town administrator in Danville, but I'd also left a message for Kitty and she was returning my call.

I'm also reminded that Mert's mother passed away last week. We've known Mert and his wife, Nancy, for many years and extend our sympathy to them and their family.


No comments:

Update & Request

 Marti Talbot, Carolyn Hamilton's sister-in-law, emailed me this morning to thank everyone who has reached out to Carolyn while she'...