Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Nothing has changed here in the north country. Snow most of the day with a few drops of rain that was just enough to make one think perhaps there would be a warmup and we'd get shed of some of this snow, but then - more snow. Here at our house, the routine is about the same as usual. Fred goes out with the snow blower - only twice today; I threatened to go for a walk but lost my enthusiasm with the wind whipping snow off the roof. The fire looked better than snow drifts.

We have a little news to report. I think I forgot to mention that the Caledonian Record has a rather lovely front page on Saturday - in color. Spring flowers, yet! It was very nice to see. Reporter Sally Cook called yesterday - she'd been to West Danville to do an article on the Ice-Out Contest after I'd sent a promo to them. Read the article here:
Caledonian Record

Dave Parker is gearing up for his interviews Friday morning and Chico Carcoba is back and starting to log in Ice-Out tickets. He said he hadn't expected to come back to quite so much snow. Local folks are getting more interested in getting their Ice-Out tickets now, even though it doesn't look any more like spring around here than it did six weeks ago. I'm guessing almost everyone is exhibiting some sort of cabin fever or winter doldrums. Time marches on, though, and Evelyn Richer and I are beginning to get organized to get the spring newsletter out. We aren't hurrying, though. We know we have a few weeks to go before there's open water and the flag goes down.

I heard on the news tonight the snow this year has retained more water than usual. ???? I don't know. I guess you had to be there when the weather folks came up with that. Wouldn't that be pretty hard to measure? Anyway, the word is out that people who don't have flood insurance should hurry up and get it.

We'll be shopping tomorrow for our Easter ham and the parsnips and pineapple that are traditional at our house. I like raisin sauce with my ham, and maybe a lemon meringue pie would be nice - and daffodils for the table. We usually have a small group for Easter because we never can depend on the roads being passable. This year I think the weather may be pretty good, but people out for Sunrise Services better dress warmly. Quite often the Cabot church holds Sunrise Service at the Cabot Plains Cemetery. The snow banks are high there and there's not a bit of bare ground showing. I can guarantee there'll be a wind and it will be COLD.

And so it goes.

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...