Friday, November 30, 2007

Saturday morning.
Whew!
Yesterday morning I posted several pictures about our wood operation and when I published what I'd blogged, everything went haywire, so I started over - a few times. I fussed with it all day and still couldn't get the pictures to display properly. This morning we found out blogspot.com has a problem - but the good news is they told us how to fix it by changing the html codes. That done, I believe things are back to normal - but if there's a problem, please alert me. Things like the obstinate blogging experience kept me inside yesterday, so I haven't helped with stacking the wood. Probably just as well. Neither of us wants to hear this much wood falling down in the middle of the night!


We had all our split wood for 2008 delivered yesterday. Because we are expecting snow this weekend, along with some pretty cold weather, Fred is working hard to get as much of it piled as he can, but there's still a lot left to stack. (Picture taken yesterday as he stacked between delivery of more loads.) We hope this will be more than enough for 2008, but it depends on the weather we get during the year - as you know, some summers here at Joe's Pond often we need a little heat in the house even in July!

Our supply for this year that had been drying out back all summer, has been moved inside where it fills one side of our two-car garage, and as you can see, leaves barely enough room for the car. Fred has just enough room to store the snow blower at the end of the wood pile. We also have wood waiting to be brought in from the woods if we need it - most of it's been drying out there for at least, but it's mostly spruce, poplar or tamarack, and there isn't a lot of it. Mixed together with the hard wood we purchased, it burns well and extends the hard wood. I took a picture of our little stove "insert" that heats our house all winter except when the thermometer dips way below zero, or sometimes at night or if we're away for a long period. Then the oil furnace will take over. The wood fire is cheerful and with oil prices today - it makes sense to have the wood on hand. It's been a great little heater for us, and I like the ambiance.

I was walking down W. Shore Road Wednesday and took this photo looking east towards the narrows. It was quite late in the afternoon and the clouds were beautiful. Just another reason so many of us think this is a great place to live, being able to enjoy the scenery, the wildlife and the quietness.

Ted Chase called yesterday to let me know he has a video he wants to share. He and Fred will be working on getting that onto the web site soon (when the wood is stacked!) and I'll alert you when it's posted. From what Ted told me, I think you'll enjoy it.

Our cat, Woody, was ready when Fred took his picture the other night. Woody is forever tempted to go outside to chase the squirrels, but it's been a little too cold for him and after several tries of only a few minutes outside, he comes in, has a snack, and spends the rest of the day by the fire. Smart fellow. Days like today, when the temperature is sliding into the single numbers above zero, he is smart enough to not even try going outside.

Wishing everyone warmth and joy!

Click on the pictures to enlarge them. It should work ok now!

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...