Thursday, May 03, 2007


THE WINNER OF THE 20TH ANNUAL JOE'S POND ICE-OUT CONTEST

Dr. Robert Marshall, of Montpelier, receives a check for $4,216 from Don Walker, from Joe’s Pond Association. Dr. Marshall’s guess of May 1, at 4:36 p.m. was the closest to the actual time the block dropped through the ice, stopping the clock at 4:45 p.m. This was the 20th and largest contest ever, with 9,422 tickets sold. After expenses for running the contest, the Joe’s Pond Association and the winner share equally. JPA’s share will be used for the annual fireworks display this year, on July 3rd. (Photo by Dave Parker, Ice-Out Contest Coordinator).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A friend asked me what happens to the blocks and whether there were 18 or more blocks at the bottom of the pond in front of Homer's. I said I didn't know for sure but I was pretty sure that there was some way they were retrieved. But out of curiosity, what does happen to the blocks?

News & Chatter

I was saddened this morning when I read in the Caledonian Record that Archie Prevost passed away. Archie was well known around Joe's P...