Sunday, November 13, 2016

Just when I think there's nothing happening around here, I get some interesting news!  Everyone knows we have lots of critters roaming the woods - not all four-legged this time of the year, but that's not the story.  George Parizo was headed past our house yesterday on his way to recycle in Cabot and on the flat beyond our driveway, saw something unusual in the ditch.  Here's what he told me:

On my way over the hill to Cabot recycling this am up on the flat above your place I saw a small gray body laying in the other side of the road. I drove past it and the then my brain kicked in. STOP! Reverse gear! (No one behind me) Wheels spinning I backed up and took another look. The gray form was a POSSUM !  It looked like it was asleep.
Possums have made their way into southern VT 4/5 years ago and I have seen them down there. Possums do not do well in cold weather - they become very slow moving and I have seen them lying in the roads down in Springfield sound asleep. I hope that’s what the possum was doing. It was not there when I returned. 
Possums are in the rat family and come equipped large constantly growing front teeth. Nothing I want to pick up without “Granny Clampet” there.  Could this be another sign of global warming?
 
George
 
Thanks, George.  I'm glad you took the time to go back and look at the animal.  I'm not sure it's good news that opossums are in our locale, but like all wild animals, I guess we have to accept them.  Just so they don't take up residence in our homes.  I know nothing about possoms, so I looked them up and found this National Geographic site.  I also found another site about accepting them in the wild or removing them if they decide to live in your attic. 
 
I was at first dismayed when I read George's e-mail, thinking this could be the beginning of problems; but apparently they generally don't bother anyone - they are just scavengers, like lots of other wildlife, and mind their own business most of the time.  We just need to keep tight lids on pet food stored in garages or sheds, and be careful about garbage being left outside.  They will feast on bugs, snails, grubs, etc., and help keep our gardens free of pests - so they really aren't all that bad.

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...