Monday, May 16, 2016

I know a few of you either recently arrived at Joe's Pond from points south or will be arriving this week, and I apologize for the weather.  It isn't the warm welcome we would like to have presented.  It's downright depressing, unless you consider all the fresh air circulating down from Canada and the invigorating coolness of the air.  I saw Alice Aime walking her two dogs earlier this morning - she looked cold and I wouldn't be surprised if she cut their walk short once she got a little past our turn to where the north wind hits full force.  The best I can offer is that this snow (I measured 3/4 in. this morning) is likely the last hoorah of our so-called winter, and the weather will probably even off into real spring once this low is out of our region. 

As we came back from our walk around noon yesterday, a humming bird buzzed Fred.  They seem to know they have to remind us humans to get the feeder out for them.  That was the first time we'd seen one this spring, so I expect he had just arrived and no doubt was disappointed there wasn't an easy food source where he left it last fall.  It's out now, but I haven't seen any activity around it.  The poor little guys are probably too cold to fly.  

I want to remind anyone interested in Cabot Historical Society that our Annual Meeting is on Sunday, May 22, at 3 p.m. at the Main Street building.  This would be a good time for you to join, if you are not already a member.  We are a congenial group, dedicated to preserving the history of our town and making it available to the citizens of Cabot and the public in general.  There are wonderful exhibits, books and   photographs on display and a fine resource center to browse.  Dues are only $5 a year.  We welcome new members and urge all to attend the Annual Meeting.


No comments:

Snow & Ice Report

 W e're through another March snowstorm, and as far as I can tell, we aren't expecting more snow this month. We'll probably have...