Thursday, April 28, 2016

We aren't making much progress towards spring right now.  Most of the snow we got over the weekend is gone - just a few patches under trees in the woods - but the temperature is unusually chilly for this time of the year.  We have barely made it to the mid-40s during the day today, and now there are clouds sneaking in overhead and the sun is mostly gone.  It's a little discouraging, but with May only a few days away, I'm sure things will change for the better.

Here's an interesting story our cousin in Rhode Island sent recently.  I think this is a lovely idea - there are all kinds of "pick your own" farms for fruit and vegetables and "cut your own" Christmas trees, but I don't think I've seen anything like "pick your own flowers" advertised in Vermont.  

I've been watching my daffodils.  Some were almost ready to bloom when we got this last stretch of cold weather, and they don't seem to have recovered.  However - these that were a few days later, seem to be ok and coming along well in spite of the cold.  The crocuses don't seem too perky today, though.  The temperature got into the low 20s last night, and that was tough, even on them.   We still have a little snow here and there around the house and some patches in the woods, and not much green grass, at least around our place.  This is a patch of snow on our lower lawn near the lilac trees - I think the wind may have piled it up a little there so it was deeper than on other parts of the lawn.  Also, at our front steps there is still snow, and some in the garden in front of the deck where my rhododendron is.  About two weeks ago, during a nice warm spell, I took the burlap off it and a few other bushes that needed protection from cold winter winds.  That was a mistake, of course.  We have had cold winds repeatedly ever since.  I don't think it has harmed them, but I'll know if the rhododendron doesn't flower.  The holly out in the back doesn't get the wind as much, so I think that will be ok.  I transplanted it last year after over-pruning it, which nearly did it in.  It recovered pretty well last summer, but probably doesn't need much more stress right about now. 

We were in Montpelier to pick up the 2017 Ice-Out tickets yesterday and enjoyed all the spring flowers and green grass showing there.  Actually, we began noticing a big difference as  soon as we got to Marshfield.  I think it was in East Montpelier where we saw someone mowing his lawn.  Spring work around here is going to take a little longer, I think.  It's always nice to get out the paint brush and touch up the deck railings and trims and get the windows washed ready for summer, but all that kind of work  needs warmer weather.  

I just received a very nice little advertisement card that we bought on ebay for the Cabot Historical Society.  It was advertising for M. W. McDaniels who had a store in Lower Cabot.  I don't know when McDaniels had the store there, but it was probably in the late 1800s or early 1900s.  I'll see if I can find anything more about that store.  Click on the images to make them large enough to read.  It will be a nice addition to our collection of Lower Cabot artifacts.























No comments:

April Showers

Our April Showers are darned cold this morning. My outside temperature reading is 37.5F and there is a bit of wind out of the NW. It isn'...