Saturday, April 25, 2015

Here's a slightly different approach to the melting of ice on ponds, sent to me by Andy Rudin.  This explains the process I'm sure lots of old timers like myself refer to as the pond "turning over."  Here's the article (click here), and on another page of that particular newsletter you'll also find a short article about ice out dates, with a reference to Joe's Pond.

Thanks to Andy for sending the article. 


Here are some photos I took yesterday, Friday, morning of our driveway and then the first two ponds.  There is a lot more water showing than on Thursday, in spite of the new snow decorating the scenes.

I'm not going to belabor the fact we've had snow off and on all day today.  I'm sure you're as tired of reading about it as I am of reporting it, but just know that we have been getting snow showers, the temperature has barely left the freezing mark, and there has been a bitter north to northeast wind all day.  There's nothing to do except deal with it, but that's not saying we aren't grumbling about it every day.  We can't seem to catch a break from Mother Nature this year.  We keep getting e-mail messages asking, "Is the ice out of the pond yet?"  Actually, that isn't too far fetched, lakes in surrounding areas are breaking up - here's an article about Lake Winnipesaukee

By the way, the web cam seems to be working - I just checked it.  Remember to use Internet Explorer as your browser.


No comments:

Snow & Ice Report

 W e're through another March snowstorm, and as far as I can tell, we aren't expecting more snow this month. We'll probably have...