Tuesday, November 18, 2014

For the moment we have sunshine instead of snow showers, and that is very welcome.  It's been a few too many days with snow every day - we didn't really get the rain yesterday we expected, although there were some brief periods with very wet snow and a little rain mixed in.  Still, we have only 4-5 inches of snow on the ground. I'm guessing.  I haven't been out to measure it; I'm basing my estimate on the amounts I measured daily starting Friday, which totals 7 in. and allowing for settling and what little rain we had in the mix yesterday.  As I look across the pond towards Route 15, I

notice the fields there don't look as snow covered as we are on this side - perhaps because they have a southerly exposure, opposite from this side of the pond.  Even so, they have enough snow for mid-November.


Fred has resisted going out with the snow blower because our blacktop driveway melts off quickly when the temperatures are on the mild side.  That isn't the case today, though.  The thermometer outside my office window reads 21 degrees, while the weather station is reading 30.  The sensor for the weather station is on the front side of the house near the driveway and always reads a few degrees warmer.  The wind seems to be picking up and we could be in for some blustery weather.  He may have to go out later today if the snow showers continue, but he knows it's going to be a long winter and he'll be walking lots of miles behind that machine, so why rush to get started!

Steve and Bev Allen sent a link to a really nice photo essay, Reasons Living In Maine Ruins You For Life.  It brought to mind  lots of memories, both recent and distant, and I thoroughly enjoyed looking at it.  I hope you do, too. Ayuh.




 

No comments:

April Showers

Our April Showers are darned cold this morning. My outside temperature reading is 37.5F and there is a bit of wind out of the NW. It isn'...