Monday, July 31, 2017

I had some errands to do in Cabot Village this afternoon, and stopped by The Den at the hardware store to see what they've done with the place. 

I didn't know what to expect, but I was surprised to find the well-worn wooden of the long counter that has been there for years has a new glossy top and the pegboard wall behind it with assorted gadgets, fishing lures, pocket knives and hunting gear has been replaced with shelves and gleaming rows of glasses and bottles.  The open shelf display of motor oil and solvents along the front of the long counter counter are gone and the space enclosed.  Trendy tractor seat stools provide seating at the bar, and there were several taps for an assortment of draft beers.  I understand they also serve wine, but I didn't notice a display.  I did see some interesting tee-shirts hanging on the wall behind the bar, though.  Just so you get an idea of the change, I dug out a photo taken when Walt and Julie Ackermann owned the hardware store and I was picking up Ice-Out ticket stubs and money several years ago.  You can easily see the changes.
The third picture is what you see when you walk in the door; the fourth picture down is looking at the bar from the opposite direction.



But that isn't all - in among the garden supplies near the front of the store are two tables.  I have to say, the decor is pretty unusual, but the hardware store has always been a great place to hang out.  So now folks hang with friends and nurse a beer or enjoy coffee and a sandwich or pastries from Sarah's Country Kitchen at the opposite end of the store.  And pick up garden seeds, some rope or plumbing supplies or maybe a shovel before they go home.

Cabot is kind of a unique town - off the beaten track, pretty quiet and conventional most of the time - so it's great to find something truly different and surprising there.  I only had time to dash in and get a few pictures, but I think it would be great fun to go back for a beer and lunch.  I'm told Sarah's has really good food, and paired with a cold beer or a glass of wine, what could possibly be better?

 















No comments:

Snow & Ice Report

 W e're through another March snowstorm, and as far as I can tell, we aren't expecting more snow this month. We'll probably have...