Sunday, January 15, 2017

There isn't much to report except we got about an inch and a half of very light, fluffy snow early this morning.  It was cold and blustery for a while, but then the sun came out a little while, too.  Tonight is cold again, 10 above; but true to the recent weather pattern, tomorrow is supposed to warm up and there may be snow or rain Tuesday into Wednesday.  There's still plenty of ice left from the last rainy period.  The back roads are very icy under the sand, and because it's been so cold there hasn't been much impact from the salt the towns have laid down.  The main roads are fine.

 This top picture was taken January 13, 2016, but it could have been taken this morning. The next one was taken on January 13, 2015.  It looks like we had quite a bit more snow that year, and what a pretty day!  The next one down was taken on January 14, 2014.  We were having a "January thaw" that year!  I went back a few more years, but didn't find any very unusual snow pictures in my files.  I was surprised at how many years I took pictures on almost the same dates, though.
 I was contacted by someone from Lyndon State College last week asking if I would be interested in gathering data about ice storms.  Apparently there is a new program associated with NOAA and with CoCoRaHS that I've been reporting precipitation for since 2009.  I'm not enthusiastic about the prospects of measuring anything more than I already do, but on the other hand, it might be interesting, depending on what method they come up with to do it.
It's still in the planning stages, but I may get more details later on.  I can't imagine how one could get a good measurement - ice isn't as cooperative as snow.  I'm sure they'll figure something out.


We've heard lots of gun shots during the day today.  They seem to be coming from the woods below our house - or perhaps across the pond in the area of the channel.  I'm guessing it's rabbit hunters.  Sometimes we can hear the hounds as they are running the rabbits, but we weren't outside that much today.  I heard shots when I was getting the snow measurements this morning, and there were more this afternoon. We used to have lots of rabbit hunters in the area, but not so many recently.  We haven't seen many rabbits, either.  Perhaps there isn't enough cover for them since we and our neighbor had some logging done.  




No comments:

CLOCK STOPPED, 4:02 A.M. TODAY

We finally have an official Ice-Out time - 4 a.m. today, April 14, 2024! There are thousands of tickets sold each year and our data speciali...