Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Here is the obituary for Margaret Fitts. It didn't come out in the newspaper in time for the funeral, but I know many of you will be interested in the full life Margaret had. She was an inspiration for all of us, and she will be sadly missed by her family and many friends.
     We are watching the thermometer go down steadily from the high 40s around noon to 38F now, and still sinking. We have had rain showers most of the afternoon, and I expect those will be snow showers later tonight. According to the forecast, there may be measurable snow in some of the higher elevations. I guess it's time, but I wouldn't mind if it held off a few more weeks. I don't expect the snow (if we get any) will stay long - but still, it's cold and dreary, more  like November than the middle of October.
     I hope you are thinking about getting your winter tires on - it won't be long before you'll be really glad you did! Even these wet days, the back roads can be really nasty. A neighbor told me that last week when we had rain she nearly ended up in the pond going along West Shore Road. It can be tricky, for sure. Mud is just as slippery sometimes as snow. So be careful. Another danger recently is trees and limbs down in the road. You can come upon them very unexpectedly, and it can mean a nasty scratch on your car or something broken. We've had some high winds recently and some limbs have come down her and there - I noticed on Route 2 coming home from West Danville there had been a tree down in the road. It had been all cleaned up by the time I came along, but I could see where it had been. Expect the unexpected is the rule! Take care, drive safely, and if it does snow, use extra caution and watch out for the other guys who don't have a clue.

No comments:

AND THE WINNER IS . . . !

The winner of the 2024 Joe's Pond Ice-Out Contest is Stuart Ramsdell of Danville. Stuart is retired and bought five tickets at Hastings ...