Friday, September 22, 2017

Fall is officially here, and what a fall it is!  The weather has been exceptional for the past two weeks, and according to the forecast, it is only going to be more of the same, only warmer.  Temperatures have been in 70s - even close to 80, even here at Joe's Pond.  Bright sunshine and no sign of rain.  Showers have been predicted, but so far haven't materialized.  As soon as the sun drops behind the hill, the temperature drops, too.  It's suddenly 65 degrees and falling, at 5:30 p.m.
 
This afternoon I had been sitting on our deck, watching the traffic of people coming home from work, when  I happened to glance over the deck railing and spotted some bright yellow fungi growing on a very old cherry tree stump.   That inspired me to grab the camera and take a walk.

Our grape arbor, as usual, had no grapes to harvest.  If there were any that didn't dry up prematurely, I didn't see them.  The birds always get them before I do.  But nearby the grape arbor, we have a mountain ash, and that is loaded with fruit.  I was wondering if birds like those bright red berries, so went on line to find out.  I've never noticed birds at our trees, so thought perhaps the berries are not good for them.  However, apparently birds do like them, especially cedar waxwings.  The berries will sometimes ferment and then the birds get tipsy.  Not only these berries, but other fruit, as well, including apples.  I've heard about cows eating fermented apples and staggering to the barn, but never thought about birds.  Apparently they enjoy "happy hour" sometimes, too.  I'll keep watch.  In the meantime, we're enjoying the weather, foliage, fall flowers and all that goes with it.  I hope you are, too.


 




No comments:

AND THE WINNER IS . . . !

The winner of the 2024 Joe's Pond Ice-Out Contest is Stuart Ramsdell of Danville. Stuart is retired and bought five tickets at Hastings ...