Tuesday, August 02, 2016

It's hard to believe we're into August already!  I do appreciate these lovely days with cool nights, though - and the rain yesterday was welcome, too.  Makes me wish I'd planted a vegetable garden this year, but on the other hand, my flower beds are out of control with weeds, so why would I want more to not take care of?

We enjoyed having our 5-year old granddaughter with us again on Friday.  We spent a fair amount of time outside, and in the afternoon, took a "tea break" on the deck to read her special book, "The Story of Woodpile Brown, The Cat With A Beautiful Tail," about how Woody came to live with us.  She read it with her parents when we gave it to her at Christmas, but this time through, I did most of the reading and she asked questions.  She seemed puzzled that the book was a "true" story, and asked several times, "Did that really happen?"  I guess this is her first experience with non-fiction.

Tangeni was excited about her trip to Namibia where her namesake, Aunt Tangeni, is getting married later this month.  Most of all, she was excited about getting together with her cousin, Fiona, also 5.  I'm not excited about having her and her family flying just now, especially to such a distant country, but they've been looking forward to this for about a year, so it will be a great reunion for everyone.  They took the wedding flowers with them in an oversize suitcase that Bill said looks as if it should weigh at least a hundred pounds, but is actually more like 10.  I bet the baggage handlers will be curious about that.  I just hope they don't tear it open and damage anything.  Bill and Monika promised to take lots of pictures, so I hope to share some here.

In the meantime, I'm tracking their flight - they will land in Johannesburg around 2:30 a.m. our time, but it will be mid-morning in Africa.  They have a short time to make the flight for the next leg of their journey to Windhoek where they'll stay a day or so to get caught up with the jet lag before driving over 300 miles to Oshakati, their destination on the northernmost border of Namibia.  Bill said the further north they go the hotter it gets, and they will be driving through sparsely populated country at the edge of the desert.   According to weather reports, temperatures will be in the high 80s during the day and the 50s at night, but there's not a drop of rain in the forecast.  Makes me appreciate all the green around us - even the weeds I'm going to attack later this afternoon.

No comments:

Snow & Ice Report

 W e're through another March snowstorm, and as far as I can tell, we aren't expecting more snow this month. We'll probably have...