Wednesday, February 17, 2016

I just found this message from Nancy Buttura over on the eastern shore of the pond.  She had written it at about 9 o'clock this morning:
"I just took this picture looking out my kitchen window.  Looks like a big hole in front of Cahoon's camp and, another hole, not as big, in front of Rudin's.  Hopefully they don't grow any bigger.  -Nancy"

That ice sure doesn't look very solid, even though our temperature has been below freezing all morning.  There was a lot of water from rain all day yesterday, so there's lots of runoff coming into the pond that will erode the ice from underneath as well as having melted some from the top, having been in the high 40s.

I wonder if the big holes Nancy is seeing are in the same general area of the open water so late this fall.  I'll ask her.  In the meantime, I wonder if the ice fishermen are at all worried; and in addition, what does this warm spell mean for our Ice-Out Contest??

No comments:

CLOCK STOPPED, 4:02 A.M. TODAY

We finally have an official Ice-Out time - 4 a.m. today, April 14, 2024! There are thousands of tickets sold each year and our data speciali...